Gmail to "gmail apps" sync: ValueError: Backend could not find uid for message

chris coleman christocoleman at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 04:24:19 UTC 2011

1) IMO imaplib2 should be updated to handle the case where Gmail is sending a new CAPABILITIES response after login, that corresponds to the particular imap server the user's Gmail account is hosted on.  Because Brandon is right, IMPA4rev1 protocol says the client must be able to take any response at any time. It's strange to see a second CAPABILITIES response a moment later, with different capabilities, but it's legit, and should be easy to support.

The same kind of bug happened recently with an off-topic (but still totally legitimate) response from the IMAP server coming in the middle of a message list operation.  imaplib2 incorrectly interpreted this off-topic response as the end of the message list and stopped processing the list right there (but should've continued).  So imaplib2 threw an exception, and caused offlineimap to lose all the rest of the messages in the list !!  Very bad critical data loss bug.

2)  If Google's IMAP implementation is not returning the UID with the APPEND command's OK response, then it's not implementing RFC 4315 ("IMAP - UIDPLUS Extension," December 2005).

Brandon, I feel Google should implement UIDPLUS according to the RFC4315 on the Gmail servers that support UIDPLUS. Then, offlineimap will be able to communicate with Gmail and get expected UID responses while doing APPENDs, etc.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4315

RFC 4315 Abstract:

"The UIDPLUS extension of the Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) provides a set of features intended to reduce the amount of time and resources used by some client operations."

RFC 4315 Section 1:

"...this document recommends new status response codes in IMAP that SHOULD be returned by all server implementations, regardless of whether or not the UIDPLUS extension is implemented. The added facilities of the features in UIDPLUS are optimizations; clients can provide equivalent functionality, albeit less efficiently, by using facilities in the base protocol."

RFC 4315 Section 3:

"In this example, A003 and A004 demonstrate successful appending and copying to a mailbox that returns the UIDs assigned to the messages."

"Example:

C: A003 APPEND saved-messages (\Seen) {297}

C: Date: Mon, 7 Feb 1994 21:52:25 -0800 (PST)

C: From: Fred Foobar <foobar at example.com>

C: Subject: afternoon meeting

C: To: mooch at example.com

C: Message-Id: <B27397-0100000 at example.com>

C: MIME-Version: 1.0

C: Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII

C:

C: Hello Joe, do you think we can meet at 3:30 tomorrow?

C:

S: A003 OK [APPENDUID 38505 3955] APPEND completed"

Best,
Chris Coleman