Gmail to "gmail apps" sync: ValueError: Backend could not find uid for message

Brandon Long blong at google.com
Mon Jun 27 06:48:07 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:32 PM, chris coleman
<christocoleman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Brandon, Thanks for the clarification.
>
> So this issue will be resolved once imaplib2 properly digests the untagged
> 2nd CAPABILITIES response after login to Gmail.
>
> There is still this issue: you seem to be saying that Gmail sometimes (or
> always) doesn't announce UIDPLUS in the 1st CAPABILITIES response.  This
> implies SOME users are on Gmail servers that don't support UIDPLUS, so all
> Gmail servers are obliged to include defer announcing UIDPLUS support until
> the 2nd CAPABILITIES response.  So the same crash will happen if the user is
> on one of those servers that do not support UIDPLUS.

Ah, I see the confusion.

UIDPLUS was rolled out incrementally, but its now on for all users,
and has been for at least a year.  We could graduate it to being
always on and being announced pre-login, we just haven't done it yet.

And I just logged in and checked our code, my guess at the possible
failure scenario is wrong, I do believe that we should handle that
search backup correctly.  I'll have to write a test or two to see if
there's some other bug there.

Brandon