bug when using offlineimap with python v2.7.2rc1

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 6 15:50:08 BST 2011

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011, Scott Moser wrote:

> Hi all,
>    I'm using Ubuntu Oneiric (development branch), and this week brought
> python version 2.7.2rc1 into the archive.
>    That broke offlineimap with SSL for me.  I've opened bug 792043 [1],
> and then done some debugging.  The breakage is caused by a change that
> went into python imaplib for python issue 1441530 [2].  You can see the
> specific patch that caused the problem at [3].
>
> [1] http://pad.lv/792043
> [2] http://bugs.python.org/issue1441530
> [3] http://bugs.python.org/file22063/imaplib_recv_27.diff

Ok.. So, a lot more digging.

This issue appears to be fixed in offlineimap trunk, and is largely a dupe
of http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=569068.
, and in released version 6.3.3.  Additionally, debian has 6.3.3-3, so I
will get that pulled into Ubuntu.  I obviously should have checked there
first, and have requested sync from debian under bug 793574.

Previously, I had arrived at https://github.com/jgoerzen/offlineimap/wiki
(its the top hit on google), and then at
https://github.com/jgoerzen/offlineimap and, as a result was looking at
the wrong trunk.  Apparently, I can't read a file named 'README'. Sorry
for that.

The only thing I would suggest is to remove or update the obsolete comment
in offlineimap/imaputil.py:WrappedIMAP4_SSL, that says:

    It provides a better readline() implementation as impaplib's
    readline() is extremly inefficient. It can also connect to IPv6
    addresses."""

This class no longer has a 'readline', and python's socket performance
issues may have been fixed under current releases of 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, and
3.X (http://bugs.python.org/issue2632).

Again, sorry for the spam, and thanks for offlineimap.