OfflineIMAP and gchats (redux)

Tue Mar 22 14:57:05 GMT 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 13:49:27 +0100, Johannes Stezenbach <js at sig21.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:20:58AM +0100, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
> > Gmail is broken in so many way...
>
> I won't argue with that, but IMHO offlineimap could do
> better than die with AssertionError if the server returns
> an error code.  It makes it look like offlineimap is buggy.

Well, historically the answer of OfflineImap to any kind of unexpected
behavior has been to abort with a traceback. I agree we should change
that, but it's not so easy.

Most of the suggestions imply that, skip that message and continue with
the rest, outputting error messages at the end.

What should we do, if e.g. the uploading IMAP server fails to assign
proper UIDs (or rather to communicate them to us). This would mean that
we upload the same message again and again. I'd rather fail quickly.

I agree we should transition to have nicer error messages and bubble
these up. I even have a branch that starts doing that. But there have
been changes in so many areas, and the imaplib2 change is so major,
introducing new instabilities. That I don't want to add more
construction sites to the code base at the same time. I'd love to
stabilize for a time and move to proper error messages over time.

OfflineImap has essentially been in hiatus for 5 years, we can't fix
everything in 6 months :-).