crash on sync of large maildir

Sun May 1 20:34:11 UTC 2011

On Sun, 01 May 2011 15:21:27 -0400, mah at everybody.org wrote:
> >>     Establishing connection to tunnel:nice env MAILDIR=/home/mah/maildir/everybody.org /usr/lib/dovecot/imap.
> >
> > There have been changes to the tunneled authentication recently. I am
> > not sure if that is resonsible for anything...
>
> Wouldn't it be better to warn people (say, if they haven't updated their
> config file with a flag that says “I REALLY mean to do this”) that the
> support is not really tested than to just continue?  That way, I think
> people would be more likely to report bugs at least.

Well, problem is that there was no conscious decision to have an option
that "is not really tested", offlineimap offers so many possibilities
that some simply lag a bit behind or are not frequently tested. With all
the "maxage", SSH tunnel, etc options there are many more code paths
than a single person can excercise. We are thinking about how to best
set up a test harness though. Contributions to that are very welcome :)

> > We definitely should not fail hard here. I'd consider that a bug. Our
> > only excuse is that this behavior has existed forever and we did not
> > have time to fix it since the maintainer change.
>
> Is there somewhere I can file a bug report?  Or will you just track it
> otherwise?

I have a private bug tracker at trac.sspaeth.de. Feel free to create an
account and log a bug there. Nicolas prefers to keep things on this list
and we certainly have that on the radar now.