OfflineIMAP and SpamAssassin?

Tim Gray lists+offimap at protozoic.com
Mon May 16 14:07:28 UTC 2011

On May 16, 2011 at 03:43 PM +0200, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:
>I am not familiar with fetchmail, what clamav hooks does it offer that
>offlineimap not do?

Fetchmail downloads messages and delivers them to a mail delivery agent.
Presumably you could set up a pipeline that sent them through clamav,
spamassassin, and then procmail.  Fetchmail does talk with IMAP servers,
and can be configured to leave mail on the server, but it ultimately
just downloads mail in a POP fashion.

>> This may seem an odd request, but my local server (to which I sync mail
>> for about 8 users for speedy in-office use) is totally under my control,
>> whilst my "real" internet-facing mailserver is on a shared hosting plan
>> and I have less control over that - and thus don't have SA and ClamAV
>> etc set up there.

In this scenario, I might do all the spam and virus filtering on your
local server.  Download the mail from the 'real' server using fetchmail
or getmail, filter through your spam/virus software, then deliver to
your local IMAP server.

Unless of course I'm misunderstanding the setup.  I am assuming your
users never interact with the 'real' server.  Do your users communicate
with the office server while at work and with the 'real' server not at
work?  If that's the case, my suggestion clearly wouldn't work.

If the latter is the case, I'll be interested to hear if anyone comes up
with any suggestions.  I like IMAP, I like offlineimap, but certain
things just need to be done locally.  I found myself a mail provider
that has decent spam/virus scanning as well as server side sorting
(sieve).  Anything I don't want on the IMAP server and instead process
locally gets filtered into a special folder (ignored by offlineimap)
which is fetched by my computer using fetchmail.  Of course I'd love to
hear other solutions to this kind of issue.