restore mails from local Maildir back to IMAP

Olaf Schreck chakl at syscall.de
Mon May 30 13:41:05 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have searched the archives, but I still don't get it..

I use offlineimap to backup Mails from an IMAP server to a local Maildir. All
fine and dandy.

Now a subfolder on the IMAP server has been deleted and I want to restore this
folder from the backup back to the IMAP server.

I thought it would be enough to copy the missing messages to the Maildir, run
offlineimap and the bidirectional sync would push the messages to the IMAP
server.

But when I try that, offlineimap deletes the messages that I just copied to
the Maildir (seems logical because these messages were deleted on the IMAP
server, so it deletes them in the local Maildir as well).  Since they are now
deleted from the local Maildir, there's nothing to sync back to IMAP..

How do I restore messages from local Maildir back to IMAP?  Do I have to
"swap" the local and remote definitions in .offlineimaprc?

Maybe this is special because the whole subfolder had been deleted (and
recreated), not just the messages inside the folder?

Thanks,
Olaf