OfflineIMAP and SpamAssassin?

Mon May 16 14:43:47 BST 2011

On Fri, 13 May 2011 11:00:07 +0200, James Stapley wrote:
> I have only recently noticed that using OfflineIMAP (unlike something
> like fetchmail) seems to circumvent things like SpamAssassin and ClamAV
> scans.

In what ways does it circvumvent it? It merely syncs between an IMAP
server and a Maildir (or another IMAP server). So you sure want to have
your main IMAP server scanning before you sync from there?

If you don't have control over the main IMAP server, there are things
like offlineimap filter which let you perform operations directly on the
main IMAP server.

Offlineimap also offers a postsynchook so you can run any command
directly after syncing and invoke spam checks etc.

I am not familiar with fetchmail, what clamav hooks does it offer that
offlineimap not do?

> Is there a simple way of making emails synced with OfflineIMAP
> get processed by such filters? I'm using an IMAP<>IMAP sync with the
> last old maintainer release (6.2.0) of offlineimap.

Run a postsynchook that runs spam filters on all recent mails on the
secondary IMAP server?

> This may seem an odd request, but my local server (to which I sync mail
> for about 8 users for speedy in-office use) is totally under my control,
> whilst my "real" internet-facing mailserver is on a shared hosting plan
> and I have less control over that - and thus don't have SA and ClamAV
> etc set up there.

Again, I'd run a postsynchook that runs spam filters on all recent mails on the
secondary IMAP server. I am sure many people do that.