Offlineimap erroneously deletes 10,000 emails

seanh snhmnd at gmail.com
Thu May 19 18:44:54 BST 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 07:19:37PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> I'd say this is a case where lavabit empties out the Archive folder,
> e.g. removing messages older than X months or something. Offlineimap
> has no fault in this. It deleted the local messages because they
> were deleted on the server, and its job is to sync.

Definitely not. Lavabit doesn't do that, and the emails are still now in
the folder on the lavabit IMAP server. If I open the Archive folder over
IMAP with mutt now, there are 9810 messages in there, the same number of
messages that offlineimap began to delete from the local maildir. About
2500 of those messages are missing from the local maildir now, I killed
offlineimap before it could delete the rest.

Interestingly the first message and the last message in the maildir and
IMAP copies are still the same, so the messages that were deleted from
the maildir were apparently in the middle. But offlineimap was certainly
attempting to delete all of them. I'm guessing that it keeps the list of
messages to delete in a Python dictionary and iterates over them, so it
deletes them in a random order.