gmail -> offlineimap -> (local imap) -> alpine (under Ubuntu)

Chris Barrington-Leigh cpblpublic+offlineimap at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 20:06:44 UTC 2011

Hello. I am looking for fellow (r)(al)pine users (alpine is a mail client)
simple instructions or at least sympathizers. I desperately want
instructions for how to use alpine with a local copy of a gmail account.
I have been doing this for years by compiling a patched version of alpine
that can talk to maildir, but this is no longer working ("upgrade", I
believe is the word for that).

So I simply want:

(1) a recommendation for which lightweight local IMAP server to install

(2) details for how to install it and make it talk to offlineimap (which
currently syncs my gmail account) and alpine.

I think this should be easy, but I haven't figured it out. I want to do it
under Ubuntu using just the standardly available packages.
Can anyone help me?? I'd actually gladly pay for the support, and will
certainly write up a how-to if I get it going.

Many thanks,
Chris