gmail -> offlineimap -> (local imap) -> alpine (under Ubuntu)

Tim Gray tgray at protozoic.com
Tue Nov 1 23:03:43 UTC 2011

On Nov 1, 2011, at 5:19 PM, Chris Barrington-Leigh wrote:

> Thanks. Yes, I have mutt working. I don't like the two-stage composition. I'm faster in alpine.
>
> I wish you could help me with a pointer, if setup is so easy. After another two hours of trying, I haven't got it. I would be so grateful if someone could just tell me how to set up pine with dovecot? Or point me to instructions?

I built dovecot on OS X with the following:

	./configure
	make
	sudo make install

That was it.  A couple years ago I had to do some dance with making a certificate - I forget where I read how to do it, but it was on some online tutorial.  My dovecot config file is also pretty simple.  But then OS X already has some users setup for dovecot.  For the most part though, I just had to set the maildir location for each user, set my hostname, and setup the authentication bits.  The dovecot wiki has a lot of info for that stuff.

I'm not super familiar with Ubuntu, but I'd be shocked if it didn't have a dovecot package.

As far as getting Alpine to communicate with an IMAP server, I can't help you with that.  It's been way too long since I've used Alpine to remember the configuration commands.  It was something along the lines of:

	inbox-path={imap.server.com/ssl/user=username}INBOX
	folder-collections=LocalIMAP {imap.server.com/ssl/user=username}[]

The first set up the IMAP inbox.  The second set up a folder collection with all the folders in your IMAP account.