Duplicated messages again ...

Vincent Beffara vbeffara at ens-lyon.fr
Wed Nov 16 17:46:25 GMT 2011

Hi,

One of the recent upgrades in ss/next introduced a very strange bug
which makes me a bit uncomfortable ... The symptom is this. I use
IMAP-to-IMAP, and in the morning I run OI and it fetches typically 30
e-mails. If I run it again immediately (with nothing else touching the
local imap server), it will re-upload about half of these messages, and
delete the originals from the remote server; if run again it will
re-download about half of this half, etc, until the situation
stabilizes.

By bisecting I found that the regression is apparently introduced by
commit 33b4a16 which does two things: tweak the readonly parameter of a
few functions (from 1 to True and such), and replace the explicit use of
__bases__ by a call to super() in UsefulIMAPMixIn.

I suspected the second point to be problematic (as super() can be tricky
when using multiple inheritance), and the whole thing is very
reminiscent of a UID mapping problem I had earlier in the same setup;
but reverting the change on top of the current head does not fix it ...

BTW both servers recognize UIDPLUS.

The problem is reproducible but only about once per day (then continuous
use means syncing new messages essentially one by one and all works
fine) and I am a bit frightened to lose e-mails in the process.

Any ideas ? How can I help ?

Cheers,

        /v

--
|                 |   UMPA - ENS Lyon   | Mél: vbeffara at ens-lyon.fr |
| Vincent Beffara |  46 allée d'Italie  | Tél: (+33) 4 72 72 85 25  |