Problem with Offlineimap hanging

Thu Oct 13 05:57:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:27:07 -0500, John Wiegley <jwiegley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Copying folder structure from IMAP to MappedIMAP
> imap(johnw): Info: Disconnected for inactivity bytes=126/11145

> Is there a way that Offlineimap could simply restart if it detects that it's
> been disconnected?  I would have thought SIGUSR2 would prompt it to resume in
> this condition, but it does not.

If it really hangs somewhere (e.g. in the imaplib2 library), we might
never get to handling such hangs.

Despite its multithreading, OfflineImap is designed to run very lineraly
and does not cope with hangs extremly well. If I had to redo OLI from
scratch, I'd probably give it some more async, event-driven
architecture...

I'm very short on time ATM, but I'll see how we can improve robustness
further. One thing I'd like to do is to give it some DBUS interface, so
it can detect going On/Offline by listening to NetworkManager, or
connman.