Metadata that is not saved by OfflineImap

abcdzywx at gmail.com abcdzywx at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 02:16:04 BST 2011

Hi,

I am trying to use OfflineIMAP to locally migrate everything in an IMAP
account I have that is going to expire.  I would like to preserve all
messages and metadata.  I would like to find out and verify what IMAP
metadata OfflineIMAP does NOT save in the migration to the Maildir.

1) One aspect I noticed about the IMAP protocol specification is the
"Internal Date Message Attribute" (INTERNALDATE).  The timestamps saved by
OfflineIMAP seem to be the time it downloads them, not the INTERNALDATE
timestamp, and the contents of the files are just the message body.  This
seems to indicate that the INTERNALDATE is not saved.  Is this correct?  If
so, why have the developers excluded INTERNALDATE from the migration?

2) What about the "UIDVALIDITY" value of folders?  Is this metadata merely
lost in translation?  (The UID values of files are in the filenames, but the
UIDVALIDITY of the folder is supposed to complement them.)

Here is the part of RFC2060 about INTERNALDATE:

2.3.3.  Internal Date Message Attribute

   The internal date and time of the message on the server.  This is not
   the date and time in the [RFC-822] header, but rather a date and time
   which reflects when the message was received.  In the case of
   messages delivered via [SMTP], this SHOULD be the date and time of
   final delivery of the message as defined by [SMTP].  In the case of
   messages delivered by the IMAP4rev1 COPY command, this SHOULD be the
   internal date and time of the source message.  In the case of
   messages delivered by the IMAP4rev1 APPEND command, this SHOULD be
   the date and time as specified in the APPEND command description.
   All other cases are implementation defined.

So, what else am I missing?  Is there any tool out there that
*doesn't*throw away any metadata?

Thanks