ERROR in syncfolder ... SSL3_WRITE_PENDING:bad write retry

Joren Love joren at sellerengine.com
Thu Sep 1 21:17:48 UTC 2011

Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian <at> SSpaeth.de> writes:

> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:56:44 -0700, zeek <ezekiel.das <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been running offlineimap-6.2.0-2.fc14.noarch for years without
> > trouble. Just the other day, no changes on gmail side I'm aware of,
> > I'm seeing these errors...
>
> > WARNING: ERROR in syncfolder for GMail folder  fff : [Errno 104]
> > Connection reset by peer
> > WARNING: ERROR attempting to copy message 1690 for account
> > GMail:socket error: [Errno 32] Broken pipe
> > WARNING: ERROR in syncfolder for GMail folder  ffg : socket error:
> > [Errno 1] _ssl.c:1230: error:1409F07F:SSL
> > routines:SSL3_WRITE_PENDING:bad write retry
> > WARNING: ERROR attempting to copy message 1691 for account
> > GMail:socket error: [Errno 1] _ssl.c:1230: error:1409F07F:SSL
> > routines:SSL3_WRITE_PENDING:bad write retry
>
> There are cases in which Gmail seems to close the connection and we do
> not catch it properly. Do try the latest stable release, there have been
> quite some changes since then.
>
> Sebastian

> OfflineIMAP homepage: http://software.complete.org/offlineimap

We too are seeing connection drops several times a day. Connecting Python to
imap. It's usualy a broken pipe or Connection reset by peer. Sometimes "bad
write retry" as well.  I thought this was an issue with our isp, but now I'm not
so sure. Do you have any details about what the "cases" might be? I saw mention
from google themselves about "folders being too big" and that's certainly a
possibility, I haven't been able to explore it yet.

-Joren

Some code that might be handy for testing this:
It was failing reliably yesterday, but I haven't seen it fail today.

# execute via "python scriptname 'username' 'password'"
import imaplib
import sys
I = imaplib.IMAP4_SSL('imap.gmail.com', 993)
rc, resp = I.login(sys.argv[1], sys.argv[2])
I.select('Inbox')
rc, msgs = I.search(None, 'ALL')
for msg in msgs[0].split():
    print 'Getting msg body'
    rc, data = I.fetch(msg, '(BODY.PEEK[TEXT])')
    print '...Length is %s, response is %s'%(len(data), rc)
I.logout()