New folder creation on REMOTE (DO READ)

Mon Sep 19 12:39:03 UTC 2011

Hot on the heels of my temp. maintainership, I take the chance to push a
revised branch that implements the automatic creation of remote folders.

We implement a sanity check that will stop if you are using nametrans
rules and they do not lead to the same name when applied back and forth.

If you don't use nametrans, everything is cool and you can stop reading here.

If you use nametrans on the remote repository, you will need a nametrans
rule on the local repository that reverses the name.

So if REMOTE nametrans = lambda f: "INBOX." + f
you need a LOCAL nametrans rule that does
nametrans = lambda f: re.sub("^INBOX.", "", f)

If you don't get it right, OfflineImap will perform a sanity check and
complain that the back and forth resolution does not lead to identical
names. and refuse to create the folder on the remote repository.

This feature will probably require some more documentation extensions
and typical use cases, which I will add in the near future.

With this feature, I consider the next stable version feature complete,
and will freeze feature work, and stabilize the 'next' branch so we can
release a new stable soonish.

Do let me know if and how things work (or break), the change should be
rather safe even if it requires one more nametrans setting.

Sebastian

The relevant patches are:
b92e453 sanity check so that nametrans does not lead to infinite folder creation
fd6261a Create new folders on srcrepo if needed