spamfolder?

Mon Sep 26 12:29:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:24:05 -0400, Dave Abrahams <dave at boostpro.com> wrote:

> The example conf file includes this unexplained segment:
>
> # The trash folder name may be different from [Gmail]/Trash
> # for example on german googlemail, this setting should be
> #
> # trashfolder = [Google Mail]/Papierkorb
> #
> # The same is valid for the spam folder
> #
> # spamfolder = [Google Mail]/Spam
>
> I understand the significance of trashfolder of course, but what is
> offlineimap's interest in spamfolder?

An interesting bit of undocumented Gmail implementation, I would
appreciate a patch to fix/improve our docs :-)

        #: Gmail will really delete messages upon EXPUNGE in these folders
        self.real_delete_folders =  [ self.trash_folder, repository.getspamfolder() ]

Thing is, removing a mail from a gmail folder will not *really* delete
it but merely removing the coresponding tag. Apparently EXPUNGING mails
in the trash and the spam folder will *really* delete the message (also
From all other folders it is in).

So when we want to delete a gmail mail with "realdelete=True", we need
to know whether we can simply delete it in that folder, or whether we
need to shove it into the Trash folder and EXPUNGE there.

a) It would be nice to improve our docs and
b) a patch would be nice that detected those folders automatically using
   XLIST, rather than LIST.