SIGHUP / SIGUSR2 not equivalent to restart

Fri Sep 30 08:32:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 15:14:11 -0400, Dave Abrahams <dave at boostpro.com> wrote:

> I just got back after being offline for a few hours.
> I have something that pokes offlineimap with a SIGUSR2 when I
> establish a network connection.  You can see it taking effect in the log
> below (There are actually two of those; the first comes in when the
> display wakes up at 1:57:05.
>
> However, I didn't receive any new mails until I did a SIGUSR1 and
> relaunch, which you can also see at 3:00:21 where the pid changes.

Actually, I think you want a SIGUSR1. Which will abort and do a new
round of syncs, but continue to loop in general.

Sending a SIGUSR2 should quit offlineimap as soon as all current syncs
are finished.

I just tested that on the current next branch, and it worked fine for
me...

> It's my understanding that these ought to be equivalent operations for
> most intents and purposes, and yet I've repeatedly seen situations where
> I had to restart the process in order to get anywhere.

SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 equivalent? No, SIGUSR2 will quit offlineimap and
SIGUSR1 will continue to loop.