Which encoding is used by offlineimap?

Victor Pablos Ceruelo victorpablosceruelo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 13:38:10 BST 2011

Hi there.

I am getting the following errors:

 Syncing Babel: Gmail -> Maildir
 WARNING: ERROR attempting to copy message -1 for account
Acc-Main:Traceback (most recent call last):
abort: command: APPEND => socket error: <type 'exceptions.IOError'> -
Too many read 0
 WARNING: ERROR attempting to sync flags for account
Acc-Main:Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line
421, in syncmessagesto
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line
318, in syncmessagesto_copy
abort: command: APPEND => socket error: <type 'exceptions.IOError'> -
Too many read 0
 WARNING: ERROR in syncfolder for Acc-Main folder Babel: Traceback
(most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/offlineimap/accounts.py", line
355, in syncfolder
    localfolder.syncmessagesto(remotefolder, statusfolder)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line
421, in syncmessagesto
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line
318, in syncmessagesto_copy
abort: command: APPEND => socket error: <type 'exceptions.IOError'> -
Too many read 0
 WARNING: ERROR attempting to copy message 8633 for account
Acc-Main:Traceback (most recent call last):
abort: command: APPEND => socket error: <type 'exceptions.IOError'> -
Too many read 0
 WARNING: ERROR attempting to sync flags for account
Acc-Main:Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line
421, in syncmessagesto
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line
318, in syncmessagesto_copy
abort: command: APPEND => socket error: <type 'exceptions.IOError'> -
Too many read 0
 WARNING: ERROR in syncfolder for Acc-Main folder Gmail_All_Mail:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/offlineimap/accounts.py", line
355, in syncfolder
    localfolder.syncmessagesto(remotefolder, statusfolder)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line
421, in syncmessagesto
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/offlineimap/folder/Base.py", line
318, in syncmessagesto_copy
abort: command: APPEND => socket error: <type 'exceptions.IOError'> -
Too many read 0

and, while the first one I'm not able to detect where the problem is,
I think the second one is related to the file's encoding:
all the emails I have whose sender wrote using special characters
(if I open a file with vim or emacs I can see the special characters)
provide me with the same error.

My question is: could I just re-encode this emails into an encoding
offlineimap and gmail
accept always? how?

I provide more info on this at

Thanks,