cert_fingerprint option is ignored: fingerprints aren't verified!

Thu Apr 19 16:31:47 UTC 2012

James Cook <james.cook at utoronto.ca> writes:

> I've found a bug in the code that checks fingerprints: namely,
> fingerprints are never actually checked.

> The cause: imaplibutil.py checks for ssl support by checking if 'ssl'
> is in locals(),
> but it should check globals(), since ssl is not a local variable.

Ooops, thanks for reporting. This is an embarassing one. Rather than
using globals() (as would be the correct fix), I have removed the
superfluous ssl check completely. We now rely on python2.6 and import
ssl unconditionally in any case now.

I checked in the fix as commit 895e709bf23eea3b8f546f240317580e34251cf3
into the 'next' branch, so it will be part of the next release.

Again, thanks for reporting.

P.S. I tested that cert_fingerprint is actually required and used now.