offlineimap sync

Thomas Kahle tomka at gentoo.org
Tue Dec 11 19:33:47 UTC 2012

On 17:46 Mon 10 Dec 2012, Tim D wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Given that `offlineimap' does a sync with the mailserver: in case the
> mails from my Gmail account get deleted and because that change will
> sync to my local maildir also, does that mean that I will lose all my
> emails?

Why do they 'get deleted' on the server?  Do you delete them?  Isn't the
philosophy of Gmail to never delete e-mail, but archive it and make it
searchable?  Offlineimap syncs the server and a local directory, so that
the e-mail gets deleted locally is a feature, not a bug.

> If yes, what is the solution to this?

There is no problem to solve.

> Should I use `fetchmail' to make backups of my account periodically
> while use `offlineimap' for day-to-day use?

It seems contradictory to me that you want to both delete e-mail and
keep it, but you could of course backup the local copy of the maildir
somewhere before you delete it there or on the server.

Cheers,
Thomas