offlineimap smart backup synchronization = bidirectional synchronization without deleting any messages

Rainer M Krug R.M.Krug at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 08:36:46 UTC 2012

On 20/12/12 09:03, Edward Z. Yang wrote:
> OK, so you basically want OfflineIMAP to never delete anything. That would work, in that case.
>
> Edawrd

This sounds very promising, only that in my case I would combine it with "readonly=TRUE" on the
gmail account. By doing this, I could delete emails on gmail, and they would stay in my local
maildir, but not be synced back. Very nice.

Could I suggest, that this could become an option in offlineimap, so that I can set an "no-delete
= TRUE" option, where only messages are created in this account, but not deleted?

Should not be to difficult to implement (I am unfortunately not familiar at all with the inner
workings of offlineimap), and a very useful option for backup of emails in case of a serer failure
/ accidental deletion of emails on server side.

Cheers,

Rainer