offlineimap smart backup synchronization = bidirectional synchronization without deleting any messages

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Mon Dec 3 17:16:52 GMT 2012

On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 05:15:32PM +0300, proxym wrote:
> Offlineimap does bidirectional synchronization, but it is not smart,
> it's has not any options to configure behavior for deleting messages.
>
> I just want to do bidirectional synchronization without deleting
> anything ALWAYS. How can I get it with offlineimap?

You need more than OfflineIMAP for what you expect. Coupling OfflineIMAP
with tarballs/snapshots of the local maildir could do the trick in your
case.

OfflineIMAP alone can be used as a backup tool ('readonly' option helps
for the purpose) at the condition that the state of the mailbox is
_known_ to be correct (so, the sync IS the backup). OfflineIMAP does not
intend to provide history of backups or anything more advanced.