nametrans confusion ...

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Feb 17 21:58:02 GMT 2012

On 16Feb2012 16:25, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de> wrote:
| On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 15:47:04 +0000, Allan Wind wrote:
| > Have you tried moving:
| >
| > sep = '/'
| >
| > to your imap repository section?  It is int your maildir section
| > now.
|
| Just FYI, this won't help a bit, it is even ignored for IMAP
| repositories, as the separator is automatically detected.

Ah, thanks. Might be worth issuing a warning for this; I'd have spent
some time deciding it had no effect, and then maybe even complained.
Is it worth have offlineimap check all setting names in sections (the
one in use, anyway) and warning about unknown setting names and "known
but not valid in this section" names?

As an aside, do you have any insight into what's happening with the
folder names? Or experience with nested dovecot folders? (Well, not
nested folders, but folders with nested names I guess.)

I find the nametrans doco a little vague. It talks about translated
names, even emphasising that in some cases it is the _untranslated_ name
that is relevant. But it is unclear about which side is which.

Reading the code (not deeply yet) seems to show nametrans being used in
places I would not expect, also.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

A vacuum is a hell of a lot better than some of the stuff that nature
replaces it with.       - Tenessee Williams