ImportError: No module named offlineimap

Sat Jan 7 12:07:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 19:07:45 +0000, Thomas Boehm wrote:

Hi THomas,
> I'm trying to install offlineimap 6.4.2 systemwide on my Ubuntu 10.04
> LTS system. I followed the instractions by downloading the tar.gz,
> extracting it and running "python2.6 setup.py install". It creates the
> script /usr/local/bin/offlineimap. When I execute it, I get the error

Did you solve this? 10.10 has python 2.7 as a default, doesn't it (ie
what is being invoked when you call python)? In that case, you had been
installing OLI with python2.6, so it ends up in
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/* and when /usr/local/bin/offlineimap invokes
python it will start the default (ie 2.7) which can't find it, as it is
not installed as a python 2.7 package. Does this theory sound about
right?

calling offlineimap.py directly will work, because it first tries to
import modules from the same directory as the script it is in, so it
will find the local offlineimap stuff in that directory.

If you want to use python 2.6 you can change the first line in
/usr/local/bin/offlineimap to

#!/usr/bin/env python2.6

Hope that helps.
Sebastian

PS. Do use 6.5.0, 6.4.1-6.4.4 are unfortunately flawed.