gmail -> gmail: required special treatment?

Sebastian Spaeth Sebastian at sspaeth.de
Mon Jan 9 09:27:49 GMT 2012

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 19:12:30 +0000, "Dr. D. P. Kreil (Boku)" wrote:
> Excellent! I just got the latest (v6.5.1.2-1-gb5a1315) and tried it and it
> indeed does not create the folders on the "remote" side anymore - yeah!

That is good.

> I now get some "new" error messages about UIDs not mapping though. What can
> I do to help debug this? I have copied the tty output of the process below.
> What else can I do?

> > Gmail is a descendent of the IMAPRepository class. Local IMAPs require
> > the MappedIMAP class which takes care of the UID mapping between the
> > local and the remote server. In order to get a 'Gmail' type on the local
> > side, one would need to subclass the MappedIMAP class and add the Gmail
> > specific stuff (I wonder if we could that that with a Gmail mixin
> > class instead). HTH
> Ok! Will I need to read into the current way of doing things at length
> before I can touch anything without breaking things, or should I just start
> fiddling? If you think I should read up before touching anything, are there
> any key documents / code regions I should start with that you can recommend?
> If you think I am more likely to cause harm than help by poking around in
> the code myself, would anyone else perhaps be interested in giving this a
> go? I would be most enthusiastic about helping try/test/validate this at
> least.
You can start fiddling right away. However, I would be more happy if we
could simply use Gmail as any regular IMAP server and just have it
called IMAP and work :-).

> "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/offlineimap/folder/UIDMaps.py",
> line 194, in savemessage
>     raise ValueError("Backend could not find uid for message")
> ValueError: Backend could not find uid for message

Sigh, please check if the just released v6.5.2-rc1 (or git current
master) fixes this for you. Here is the commit log for details:

commit 3284e010ff12a8c6a80e8ea299af26e80edcd4c0
Author: Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de>
Date:   Mon Jan 9 09:51:43 2012 +0100

Revert "use .response() rather _get_untagged_response()"

Recently the internal function use of imaplib2's
_get_untagged_response() was switched to use the public documented
.response() function (which should return the same data). However within
a few fays we received reports that both uses of a) the UIDVALIDITY
fetching and b) the APPENDUID fetching returned [None] as data although
the IMAP log definitely shows that data was returned. Revert to using
the undocumented internal imaplib2 function, that seemed to have worked
without problems. This needs to be taken up to the imaplib2 developer.

Let me know if this is better