Getting offlineimap to maintain a specific maildir structure

Rogério Brito rbrito at ime.usp.br
Tue Jul 17 04:28:24 UTC 2012

Hi there.

I am a user of offlineimap and I am having problems jumping from version
6.3.4 to any newer version.

In particular, I am having a problem maintaining a certain structure in
my maildir (which worked fine for all versions that I have used up to and
until 6.3.4).

It seems that the problems that I am facing are related to the
bidirectional synchronization. I would appreciate it if anybody could
help me with guidance so that I can upgrade to what my distribution gives
me.

The situation:

I am syncing a gmail account to my maildir (which I read with Dovecot's
IMAP server). I have the following structure in my maildir (edited for
brevity):

Maildir/
(...)
├── .All Mail
│   ├── cur
│   ├── new
│   └── tmp
├── .Debian
│   ├── cur
│   ├── new
│   └── tmp
├── .Debian.debian-devel-announce
│   ├── cur
│   ├── new
│   └── tmp
├── .Debian.debian-powerpc
│   ├── cur
│   ├── new
│   └── tmp
(...)
├── cur
├── new
└── tmp

What I do is: I map gmail's INBOX to the toplevel maildir and, then, all
the other folders get put inside this maildir, with the names prefixed by
a dot and with the separator being a dot.

I am using the following configuration:

,----

`----

>From what I understand, I disabled the bidirectional syncing with
createfolders=false (in an attempt to mimic as much as possible the
behavior of 6.3.4), but I get the following error message:

,----
| OfflineIMAP 6.5.4
|   Licensed under the GNU GPL v2+ (v2 or any later version)
| *** Processing account email
| Establishing connection to imap.gmail.com:993
| Creating folder .[local]
| ERROR: Aborting sync, folder '.' [acc: 'email']
|   getfolder() asked for a nonexisting folder '.'.
(...)
`----

I have tried to map the INBOX folder from Gmail to both the '.' directory
(which is refused, as seen above) and the empty string, but I get errors
in both situations.

So, how can I restore the functionality/behavior of offlineimap 6.3.4?

Thanks in advance for any help,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 4096R/BCFCAAAA
http://rb.doesntexist.org/blog : Projects : https://github.com/rbrito/