Offline IMAP Sync Between 2 servers with an existing folder

Blake Pfankuch bpfankuch at cpgreeley.com
Wed Mar 7 01:29:42 UTC 2012

I am using OfflineIMAP in a fairly unique situation.  I have the need to sync messages from a voicemail system that is restricted to using IMAP (internally) to a publically available mail system (Exchange) for a few users who "need" access to their voicemail without dialing in to retrieve them while on the road.  I have the config all set up and written, and my test accounts in place for this and I'm running into something that has been mentioned before on this list.  Going through the archive I did not see a solution, however discussion of this on November 20th 2011.  I have my config set to only sync Inbox on an IMAP server to INBOX on another IMAP server.  I care only about the messages within this folder and nothing else.

When I trigger offlineimap I get this result.

[offlineimap at OfflineIMAP ~]$ offlineimap
OfflineIMAP 6.5.2.1
*** Processing account testminion
Establishing connection to 10.1.10.1:143
Establishing connection to 192.168.10.10:143
Creating new IMAP folder 'Inbox' on server ExchangeServer
ERROR: Creating folder Inbox on repository ExchangeServer
  Folder 'Inbox'[ExchangeServer] could not be created. Server responded: ('NO', ['Mailbox already exists.'])
ERROR: Folder 'Inbox'[ExchangeServer] could not be created. Server responded: ('NO', ['Mailbox already exists.'])
*** Finished account ' testminion' in 0:00
ERROR: Exceptions occurred during the run!
ERROR: Creating folder Inbox on repository ExchangeServer
  Folder 'Inbox'[ExchangeServer] could not be created. Server responded: ('NO', ['Mailbox already exists.'])
ERROR: Folder 'Inbox'[ExchangeServer] could not be created. Server responded: ('NO', ['Mailbox already exists.'])

Offlineimap --info shows the following

[offlineimap at OfflineIMAP ~]$ offlineimap --info
OfflineIMAP 6.5.2.1
  Licensed under the GNU GPL v2+ (v2 or any later version)
Remote repository 'Phonesystem': type 'IMAP'
Host: 10.1.10.1 Port: None SSL: 0
Establishing connection to 10.1.10.1:143
Server welcome string: * OK CUE IMAP4 Server ready
Server capabilities: ('IMAP4REV1', 'LITERAL+')

folderfilter= lambda folder: folder in ['Inbox']

Folderlist:
 Deleted Messages (disabled)
 Inbox

Local repository 'ExchangeServer': type 'MappedIMAP'
Host: 192.168.10.10 Port: None SSL: False
Establishing connection to 192.168.10.10:143
Server welcome string: * OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.
Server capabilities: ('IMAP4', 'IMAP4REV1', 'AUTH=NTLM', 'AUTH=GSSAPI', 'AUTH=PLAIN', 'UIDPLUS', 'CHILDREN', 'IDLE', 'NAMESPACE', 'LITERAL+')

folderfilter= lambda folder: folder in ['INBOX']

Folderlist:
 Calendar (disabled)
 Contacts (disabled)
 Deleted Items (disabled)
 Deleted Messages (disabled)
 Drafts (disabled)
 INBOX
 Journal (disabled)
 Junk E-Mail (disabled)
 Notes (disabled)
 Outbox (disabled)
 Sent Items (disabled)
 Tasks (disabled)

Any thoughts on a workaround for this for existing folders, or do I need to look to a translation as an alternative?  Would a translation allow me to convert Remote "Inbox" to Local "INBOX\Voicemail" easily?

Thanks for any insight!

Blake