Offlineimap creates additional labels in Gmail and then complains about their UID validity

chris coleman christocoleman at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 19:21:46 UTC 2012

Rafal wrote:

Problem appeared after upgrading Ubuntu to 12.10 and offlineimap to
6.5.4. It's not particularly severe but gets a little messy.

I have labels in my main Gmail account named after my other e-mail
addresses under another label 'aliasy', for example
aliasy/rafal at ochmanski.com. When syncing all labels with offline imap
it correctly creates locally a folder aliasy.rafal at ochmanski.com and
downloads the messages but also apparently creates remotely (in the
Gmail account, that is) a folder/label aliasy/rafal at ochmanski/com
(note the slash instead of the dot before com) and then complains
about its UID validity https://gist.github.com/f16ec751cccba1eb27cd

I removed those labels (with slashes in place of dots here and there)
but they reappear after offlineimap run. I'm assuming they're being
recreated in the process of syncing.

Was there a change in the way Gmail's IMAP is being treated? Or did I
previously got somehow lucky with the configuration? I'm pretty sure I
haven't changed anything https://gist.github.com/7e5af06945bd8d92470b
What other info should I include?

Hi Rafal,

You should file a bug on the github. You have obviously observed a bug in how the code is "escaping/unescaping" the folder names to compensate for remote and local usage of . and /.  The code is incorrectly coming up with a label "aliasy/rafal at ochmanski/com" when it should come up with "aliasy/rafal at ochmanski.com", see that it already exists, and therefore NOT create it, in the remote gmail account.

Thanks for spotting that bug.
-Chris