Accessing offlineimap synchronized mail through a local dovecot

Lucien Pullen drurowin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 19:35:11 UTC 2013

Also sprach Alan Schmitt on 2013-12-04:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to set up a local dovecot to read some mail synchronized
> through offlineimap. Unfortunately, it seems that dovecot does not see
> the mailboxes. Here are their names:
>
> Drafts
> INBOX
> [...]
>
> I'm not using any renaming on the folders, just filtering out some of
> them. So I guess the problem is the missing '.' in front of every folder
> name.
>
> How can I change my offlineimap configuration[...]?

Are you storing locally as type=Maildir?  Dovecot doesn't use the same
filesystem layout as pure Maildir; here are some details:

/dovecot-maildir
  + dovecot-uidlist
  + dovecot-uidvalidity
  + /cur      # INBOX
  + /new      # INBOX's new
  + /tmp      # INBOX's tmp
  + /.Drafts
  |   + dovecot-uidlist
  |   + /cur
  |   + /new
  |   ` /tmp

I had originally configured as locally with dovecot.  I did:
=====BEGIN LOCAL REPOSITORY=====
type = IMAP
preauthtunnel = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap -o mail_location=maildir:$HOME/Mail/offlineimap-account
======END LOCAL REPOSITORY======

I would back up your metadata= and localfolders= directories (or the
relevant accounts in them, if you have more than one) and start from
scratch.