Syncing IMAP keywords using xattrs: Modify what where in the codebase?

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Mon Jan 7 11:28:28 UTC 2013

Erik Quaeghebeur <offlineimap at equaeghe.nospammail.net> writes:

> I'd like to use notmuch without losing the advantages of IMAP and I
> make extensive use of IMAP keywords[0, Sec.2.3.2 Par.3]. However,
> offlineimap does not sync them, I guess because the Maildir spec[1]
> gives no pointers to how to store arbitrary additional flags.
>
> In 2007, on this list, Florian Friesdorf suggested using extended
> attributes:
>
>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.offlineimap.general/728/focus=729
>
> To me, this seems like a good idea. (Is it?)

One option would be to do things like dovecot does it

  http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir

Even better, run dovecot locally and let it handle the details of
keyword storage.  Then offlineimap just needs to be modified so that
when doing IMAP<-->IMAP synchronization, keywords are passed along.

This has been discussed in the past on this list, but nobody has
had a chance to implement it.

Dan