IDLE does not idle, offlineimap immediately returns

Franz Fellner alpine.art.de at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 13:44:35 BST 2013

Hi all,

I recently setup offlineimap and synced all my mail. The next step is to make syncing easier (gmail is SO SLOW to sync) and setup IDLE.
As the subject says it does not work as expected. The command (offlineimap -o) returns after syncing, I could not find a background process that potentially would listen for new mail.
I adopted the setup given in the example config:

[general]
accounts = GmailAlp

[Account GmailAlp]
localrepository = GmailAlp-local
remoterepository = GmailAlp-remote
status_backend = sqlite

[Repository GmailAlp-local]
type = Maildir
localfolders = ~/mail/GmailAlp
nametrans = lambda folder: {'archive': '[Google Mail]/Alle Nachrichten',
                            }.get(folder, folder)

[Repository GmailAlp-remote]
type = Gmail
sslcacertfile = /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
remoteuser = USER
remotepass = PASS
nametrans = lambda folder: {'[Google Mail]/Alle Nachrichten': 'archive',
                            }.get(folder, folder)
idlefolders = ['INBOX']
keepalive = 4

Is there something wrong with my setup?

I also have an account at web.de, where idling does not work, eather.
I am using offlineimap-6.5.4-r1 on a Gentoo Linux.

Thx
Franz