"File is encrypted or not a database" on SQLite rollback journal file

Lucien Pullen drurowin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 20:55:43 GMT 2013

I think at some point I may have killed offlineimap or it error'd out,
and it left behind an SQLite rollback journal file.  Only problem is
that offlineimap scans the LocalStatus-sqlite directory to create new
status databases before it replays the journal file, so I get the error
"File is encrypted or not a database".

After reading the documentation, I have a couple questions:

  1. Is there a way for offlineimap to open the database file to get it
     to automatically do the rollback and then delete the journal file,
     then continue reading the directory without that file?

  2. If I were to name a label INBOX-journal, would SQLite think that
     was a journal file and clobber INBOX or would it see the "SQLite
     format 3" magic number and know not to?  (What then would happen to
     the INBOX's journal file (Would it clobber INBOX-journal label?)?
     The documentation makes it seem pretty hard-coded.)

Also, not having the program return non-zero ever makes it very hard to
detect anything is wrong, other than maybe you just haven't gotten any
new mail (I only noticed because I knew I had mail that I wasn't
seeing).