AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'read'

Liam Healy lnp at healy.washington.dc.us
Wed Oct 16 16:16:18 BST 2013

I did a safe upgrade of Debian (stable) and now I am unable to sync
mail. For every mailbox, this error appears, and no other mail is
synced.

WARNING: ERROR in syncfolder for ccs folder INBOX: Traceback (most
recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/offlineimap/accounts.py", line
306, in syncfolder
    statusfolder.cachemessagelist()
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7/offlineimap/folder/LocalStatus.py",
line 72, in cachemessagelist
    if not line and not line.read():
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'read'

Filed as Debian bug report http://bugs.debian.org/726431 but I wonder
if there's some kind of workaround I can use now so I can get mail.

Package: offlineimap
Version: 6.3.4-1

Thanks,
Liam