Is IMAP IDLE incompatible with preauthtunnel = ssh ?

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Sun Sep 22 22:39:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 03:00:55PM +0400, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> I fear that your Courier is configured to avoid IDLE stuff when
> working over SSH and invoking imapd by hand.  Usually, it is
> IMAP_CAPABILITY configuration setting for Courier IMAP that governs
> the support for IDLE, see
>   http://www.courier-mta.org/imapd.html

I found the answer on the courier mailing list:
preauthtunnel = ssh -x -q imap 'IMAP_IDLE_TIMEOUT=20 IMAP_CAPABILITY="IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE SORT QUOTA IDLE" /usr/bin/imapd ./Maildir'

Why?

The problem is that courier imap does not read its configuration file
where I setup the IDLE configuration when you run it from the command line.

So you have to pass in the environment variables for IDLE and after that it works.

Hope this helps someone else.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901