Is IMAP IDLE incompatible with preauthtunnel = ssh ?

Eygene Ryabinkin rea at codelabs.ru
Mon Sep 23 10:37:19 BST 2013

Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 03:39:12PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 03:00:55PM +0400, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> > I fear that your Courier is configured to avoid IDLE stuff when
> > working over SSH and invoking imapd by hand.  Usually, it is
> > IMAP_CAPABILITY configuration setting for Courier IMAP that governs
> > the support for IDLE, see
> >   http://www.courier-mta.org/imapd.html
>
> I found the answer on the courier mailing list:
> preauthtunnel = ssh -x -q imap 'IMAP_IDLE_TIMEOUT=20 IMAP_CAPABILITY="IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE SORT QUOTA IDLE" /usr/bin/imapd ./Maildir'
>
> Why?
>
> The problem is that courier imap does not read its configuration
> file where I setup the IDLE configuration when you run it from the
> command line.

After reading sources of imapd, it turned out that neither imapd, nor
couriertcpd have configuration files at all: configuration is read
from environment and startup script just does
{{{
. @sysconfdir@/imapd-ssl
. @sysconfdir@/imapd
}}}
so you can even do something like
{{{
ssh -x -q imap '. /etc/courier/imapd; /usr/bin/imapd ./Maildir'
}}}
to keep configuration centralized.
--
rea