Offlineimap crash

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Mon Dec 15 16:00:16 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 09:28:35AM +0000, Peter von Kaehne wrote:

> peter at localhost:~$ offlineimap -a OurMail
> ERROR: Exceptions occurred during the run!
> ERROR: ERROR in syncfolder for OurMail folder .Software.Sword-SVN:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/offlineimap/accounts.py",
> line 430, in syncfolder
>     if not localfolder.check_uidvalidity():
>   File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/offlineimap/folder/Base.py",
> line 181, in check_uidvalidity
>     if self.get_saveduidvalidity() != None:
>   File
> "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/offlineimap/folder/Base.py",
> line 204, in get_saveduidvalidity
>     self._base_saved_uidvalidity = long(file.readline().strip())
> ValueError: invalid literal for long() with base 10: ''
>
>   invalid literal for long() with base 10: ''

It can't read the UID (empty variable) but we have no clue why. This is
the kind of issue which is hard to reproduce.

There are 2 main ways to get clues on it.

First, you could insert arbitrary debugging print statements to know
more about what the collected data looks like or why it can't read it
correctly.

Second, you might git bissect it.  I'm not personnaly confident with
bissecting (blindly, at least) because any other issue from a patch
series could lead to false negatives (unrelated failures).

If you need, we are open to provide help with git or python for you to
dig into it.