"ERROR: Could not resolve name 'imap.gmail.com' for repository"

Stephen J. Barr stevejb at uw.edu
Mon Jan 27 22:28:49 GMT 2014

Greetings,

Today I checked my running offlineimap process and for my gmail accounts it
gives the error:

##########################

 *** Processing account stevejb_uw
 Establishing connection to imap.gmail.com:993
 ERROR: Could not resolve name 'imap.gmail.com' for repository 'uw_remote'.
Make sure you have configured the server name correctly and that you are
online.
 *** Finished account 'stevejb_uw' in 0:00

It will wait a few minutes and then try again. I can ping imap.gmail.com and
that seems to work. Note that this is on both my laptop and my desktop, which
are currently connected to the same network.

Is this a problem on my end or could there be a problem with imap.gmail.com?

-Stephen