problem resolving host when changing wifi network

Tjaart van der Walt tjaart at tjaart.co.za
Fri Jan 31 23:14:10 GMT 2014

Hi,

I take my laptop to work everyday, so I switch between my wifi
connection at home, and the one at work. Most of the time after I get to
the other side I get the following error from offlineimap:

ERROR: Could not resolve name 'imap.gmail.com' for repository 'xxx-remote'. Make sure you have configured the server name correctly and that you are online.

However when I try to debug, I find that I can ping the mail server:
ping imap.gmail.com
PING gmail-imap.l.google.com (74.125.193.109) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ig-in-f109.1e100.net (74.125.193.109): icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=27.5 ms

This is rather bad, because if I run offlineimap using systemd I am not
aware of this problem, and I receive no new mail.

best regards
Tjaart