Tagged v6.5.6

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Sat Jun 14 14:59:50 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 07:18:07PM +0400, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:

> I am still thinking of how to add this to the documentation: to have
> some section in the manual or to have a top-level file HACKING in
> which all bits of release engineering and some (scarce) pointers on
> how to write the code for OfflineIMAP are outlined.
>
> I like the idea of HACKING, because it is more unlikely to miss out
> than docs/doc-src/HACKING.rst.  Interesting what others think about it.

I agree. I'd keep the .rst format for github.

> > > No, it was my fault.  6.5.6.1 is expected Really Soon (tm).
> >
> > It's up to you but I'd go with a v6.5.7. I used to keep 3 digits outside
> > pre-release (X.Y.Z-rN). I guess it makes things easier for everybody.
>
> Fair enough, thanks!

To be exact, the X.Y.Z.J was used for maintenance releases of the
previous major version. Fix patches were merged in both "next" and
"master". Important fixes were also merged into the "maint" branch so
that users could benefit the fixes without "experimenting/testing" new
features.

While more comfortable for users this asks more work. Also, we used
theses 3 branches because contributors used to introduce much more code
changes at that time.

Today, things have calm down. I think you might like to change of policy
and stop maintenance of the "maint" branch. You might even stop fixing
the master branch.