"Could not find UID for msg"

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Wed Jun 4 22:41:01 BST 2014

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 04:43:22PM +0200, Alan Schmitt wrote:
> On 4 juin 2014, at 16:26, Sebastian Spaeth <Sebastian at SSpaeth.de> wrote:
> > Am 03.06.2014 14:40, schrieb Alan Schmitt:
>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I often have the following in my offlineimap logs:
> >>
> >> ERROR: Could not find UID for msg '953817' (f:'INBOX'. This is usually
> >> a bad thing and should be reported on the mailing list.

> I see. What may happen is that the server decides to expunge the message as it’s being synchronized.

Whatever the server did expunge the message or the user from another
session, there are some cases where not finding a UID is expected.

I think the log message is not detailed enough.

Today, it is only possible to manually remove the offending message
number from the cache to not be distracted by the log message anymore.

So, we are still missing a CLI option to let the user learn OfflineIMAP
to remove such bad number once duly informed. Something like

  --remove-offending-message-from-cache <MSG_NUMBER>

Perhaps a CLI option like

  --check-for-message <MSG_NUMBER>

would be welcome in order to manually check for one particular
"expected" message when OfflineIMAP cannot get the UID.