Tagged v6.5.6-RC1

Tomasz Żok tomasz.zok at gmail.com
Fri May 23 09:14:31 BST 2014

On 2014-05-23 at 10:31, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:
> > (...)
> > And, unsurprisingly, the IDLE for my accounts does not work :), I have to wait
> > for the sync to get my e-mail
>
> Fixed in next/0005bcb2f013082ae13f3a466a8b3a9d75e7dea7,
>   https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/commit/0005bcb2f013082ae13f3a466a8b3a9d75e7dea7.diff
> Can you test this modification before it will go to the master?

This modification works! Now I don't get any error message and IDLE is working
just fine.

> > - The Makefile in the tarball should IMHO use "python2" instead of "python"
> >   command. More and more linux boxes have Python 3 installed as /usr/bin/python
> >   and the current OfflineIMAP is only Python2-compliant (well, at least the
> >   setup script *is*, but AFAIR the main application was also not Python3-ready
> >   some time ago - correct me if I'm wrong). Using "python2" is more robust
> >   since this will not interfere with older systems (i.e. those where
> >   /usr/bin/python == /usr/bin/python2)
>
> Not every distribution has 'python2' executable.  For example, FreeBSD
> ports collection dating back to 2010 has no python2, just python 2.X
> executables.  So, the proper thing will be to fix OI to be
> Python3-compatible and to stay Python2-compatible.  I believe it
> should take some time and testing, but I am marking as the viable item
> for the next releases.

Ok, I was not aware of the situation on non-Linux systems, thanks for pointing
this out. At the moment I am using Arch Linux which has a build script that
patches all /usr/bin/python into /usr/bin/python2. So it is not a real problem
for me, I just wanted to share an idea.

Cheers,
Tomasz