Exit status

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 03:41:24 GMT 2014

Hello,

I'm noticing some odd behavior with offlineimap, but was hoping for a
quick sanity check before I open a bug ticket.

I've recently enabled two-factor authentication on a Gmail account, but
haven't yet set up an application-specific password yet. I expect
offlineimap to fail, and indeed I get the following exception/error/crash:

> PLAIN authentication failed: [ALERT] Application-specific password required: http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=185833 (Failure)
> LOGIN authentication failed: [ALERT] Application-specific password required: http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=185833 (Failure)
> ERROR: Exceptions occurred during the run!
> ERROR: All authentication types failed:
> 	PLAIN: [ALERT] Application-specific password required: http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=185833 (Failure)
> 	LOGIN: [ALERT] Application-specific password required: http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=185833 (Failure)
>
> Traceback:
>   File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/accounts.py", line 241, in syncrunner
>     self.sync()
>   File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/accounts.py", line 303, in sync
>     remoterepos.getfolders()
>   File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/repository/IMAP.py", line 313, in getfolders
>     imapobj = self.imapserver.acquireconnection()
>   File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/imapserver.py", line 415, in acquireconnection
>     self._authn_helper(imapobj)
>   File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/offlineimap/imapserver.py", line 337, in _authn_helper
>     "failed:\n\t%s" % msg, OfflineImapError.ERROR.REPO)

So the odd part for me is that if I check the exit status, it's 0 --
which to me indicates success. I'm expecting a different status here to
indicate that something went wrong; does that sound correct?

Kind regards,
~isaac