Please agree to add OpenSSL exception to Offlineimap

Tue Sep 23 16:01:39 BST 2014

Dear OfflineImap community,
I have just sent this email to all code contributors identified from our
git log. (Sorry for simply TO'ing all people, I just hacked this
together in emacs and thunderbird).
Lets see if we get consent to add the openssl exception by all
contributors. I will track the progress here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19myJqzb-zwzjWFu9n6tWNexFl5C_QLwwYZCsTLJdng0/edit?pli=1#gid=0

Best,
Sebastian

Dear OfflineImap Code Contributor,

OfflineImap uses the OpenSSL library. However, as the openssl license
requires an advertisement clause to be displayed, it is incompatible
with the GNU GPL unless a special exception to use openssl is granted.
As a consequence, OfflineImap has e.g. been proposed to be kicked out of
Debian in the coming release.

You are a code contributor to OfflineImap and we would like to get your
consent to add the openssl exception to our license. If adding the below
exception is ok to you, please reply to this email, stating that you are
OK with adding the openssl exception. Thank you very much for your support!

Sebastian Spaeth

The bug is filed at:
https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/issues/104
The proposed exception text and details on the issue can be found here:
https://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html

 * In addition, as a special exception, the copyright holders give
 * permission to link the code of portions of this program with the
 * OpenSSL library under certain conditions as described in each
 * individual source file, and distribute linked combinations
 * including the two.
 * You must obey the GNU General Public License in all respects
 * for all of the code used other than OpenSSL.  If you modify
 * file(s) with this exception, you may extend this exception to your
 * version of the file(s), but you are not obligated to do so.  If you
 * do not wish to do so, delete this exception statement from your
 * version.  If you delete this exception statement from all source
 * files in the program, then also delete it here.