<DKIM> Yet another UID validity problem

Nikos Alexandris nik at nikosalexandris.net
Thu Apr 2 19:10:47 BST 2015

Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:

> When I read "delete" or "erase", I naturally translate this to
> "archive" or
> "move". This way of writing documentation online just allows more
> straightforward instructions.

> Since it might not be obvious, I'll update the FAQ in this direction.

I think this is a good idea.

>> I guess I did something very wrong (e.g. forgot to erase the cache
>> file(s)) and I've lost many e-mails

> Not sure what happened.

When I remove the local folders, as per the FAQ's recommendation, then,
the syncing from Local to Remote just removed anything that was removed
locally!

I am trying to avoid this, until I mange to bring my  .maildir  in the
shape I want, by using the
`readonly = true` instruction for the Remote repository. I am not sure
if I have done this correctly though (please, see copy-paste content of
my  .offlineimaprc  file which reflects my current setup).

> A deleted folder in the Maildir should get "ignored", actually. This
> is to
> prevent from wrong manipulations when working locally.

This is a nice feature then :-)

> This is not the same
> thing that removeing the _content_ of the directory which then will
> reflect the
> changes, IOW remove all known messages on the remote.

I don't understand this:  if I remove a folder, using the very
dangerous `rm -rf`, all of its content is lost as well. Right?  (Tip, I
have stopped using `rm -rf` and use, as much as I can, `mv stuff /tmp`).

>>                                                               --
>> that is, they
>> never got re-downloaded from the remote mailbox in to the local one.
>> (Updated)
>> And, they were not present in the remote repository as well! The
>> attempt to
>> sync, after erasing the local folder, ended up in erasing the
>> material from the
>> remote location as well.
>>
>> (Updated) In ~/.offlineimaprc, the option createfolders = False and
>> a commented
>> line #readonly=true, were set to the section the corresponds to the
>> remote
>> repository.
>
> I'm not aware of issues with readonly not doing what it pretends.
>
>> Fortunately, I keep a second local maildir in another computer,
>> which I synced
>> (very) recently. This may be used as a backup to restore the lost
>> material up
>> to the remote repository.
>
> Good.

Yes -- though I think I did loose some stuff after checking again today
:-(.  Nevermind, there tons of e-mails still there to enjoy :-)

>> How can I force a one-way syncing from the "backup" local-repository
>> to the
>> remote repository? Are the options createfolders and readonly useful
>> in this
>> case?

> Make yet another archive to prevent any data loss. The way to proceed
> is the
> one I described in the post you're pointing below.

I will.  Before going-on, I did some quick-test of my own.  I just
backed up the current .maildir, removed the `INBOX` along with the
`LocalStatus` and the `FolderValidity`, and synced with my current
setup. All looked fine, until I tried to open some archived mbox-es I
have, using mutt, and trying to save read messages in one the existing
folders. Most folders appear as empty, though I can see that there are
stuff inside.

> I'll write more documentation about that, too.
>
> -------- /Paste
>
> <...>
>
>> I have found and read a very relevant post:
>> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.offlineimap.general/6634>.
>> However, I'd like to confirm my understanding of how things (will)
>> work.

> To confirm your understanding, write us what you've understood!

First, I'd like to review my settings (offlineimaprc file pasted
below).  Then I'll do describe what and how I think about how things
work.

>> Of course, the manual contains all of the bits (?), but still,
>> wouldn't
>> make sense to have some generic approach in the FAQ on what to do
>> when a
>> user reads "UID validity problem for folder INBOX"? Something very
>> clean, step-by-step, like in Nicolas Sebrech's post?

> Yes, I'll do that.

Thank you very much (for your time and not only), Nikos

--%<--- .offlineimaprc --%<---

[general]

accounts = @domain.net  # Comma separated list accounts to be synced

          Battery 100%
pythonfile = ~/.offlineimap/offlineimap.py  #pythonfile =
~/.offlineimap/imaputf7.py
     # ? does not work, yet!
maxsyncaccounts = 1  # Controls how many accounts may be synced
simultaneously

#
[Account @domain.net] # ---------------------------------------------

#autorefresh = 5  # Minutes between syncs
#quick = 10  # Number of quick-syncs between autorefreshes.
     # Quick-syncs do not update if the only changes were to IMAP flags

# Identifier for the local repository; e.g. the maildir to be synced
via IMAP.
localrepository = @domain.net-local

# Identifier for the remote repository; i.e. the actual IMAP, usually
non-local.
remoterepository = @domain.net

# Status cache. Default is plain, which eventually becomes huge and
slow.
status_backend = sqlite

#
[Repository @domain.net-local] # Local ------------------------------

type = Maildir # Currently, support for maildir/IMAP for local
repositories.
localfolders = ~/.maildir  # Where should the mail be placed?
sep = /

#
[Repository @domain.net] # Remote -----------------------------------

keepalive = 60
holdconnectionopen = yes
type = IMAP
remotehost = mail.domain.net # remotehost =
sub4.homie.mail.dreamhost.com
ssl = yes  # Use SSL? # sslcacertfile =
/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
cert_fingerprint = ????????????????????????????????????????  # Not that
smart!
remoteport = 993  # Port
remoteuser = userid at domain.net  # User-name
remotepasseval = get_authinfo_password()  # Password
readonly = true  #createfolders = False
nametrans = lambda foldername:
foldername.decode('imap4-utf-7').encode('utf-8')  # Name translation
from UTF7 to UTF8

#
[mbnames] #

enabled = yes