OfflineIMAP-project Digest, Vol 67, Issue 3

Nicolas Sebrecht nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
Thu Apr 16 10:33:44 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 12:38:15PM +0200, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:

> Anyway, I think we won't support such configuration anymore because we
> are bypassing Dovecot's IMAP agent.

<...>

> Feeding directly Dovecot database (Maildir) was supported by John as a
> hackish and crappy way to update Dovecot. It is the historical way of
> doing it because IMAP/IMAP was not supported at that time. Now that we
> have IMAP/IMAP supported for years, direct feeding should be avoided.

After a talk with Timo Sirainen, I have to retract this point. He thinks
that directly feeding the Maildir by bypassing the IMAP agent is not too
bad as long as maildir_very_dirty_syncs=no in Dovecot's configuration.

This is because maildir_very_dirty_syncs=yes will avoid most of the
readdir() calls. This could cause troubles if both softwares access the
Maildir at the same time.