[offlineimap] mini refactoring etc (#190)

Nicolas Sebrecht notifications at github.com
Fri Apr 17 11:40:17 BST 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 12:41:35AM +0200, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:

> >    Best thing to improve quality of the results would be to implement a
> >    message unique identification algorithm that includes a combination of
> >    optional data. UID, In the headers, Message-ID, References,
> >    In-Reply-To. Store these data in a row in the sqlite database table.
> >
> >    That should be enough of an improvement to uniquely identify messages
> >    without having to download the entiree message, This would reduce the
> >    amount of bandwidth consumed, and speed up the sync.

I think I'm getting why you think it could improve speed. I'm re-opening
because it could worth some basic tests with time measures to compare.

Something very simple could do it with raw IMAP requests:
- SEARCH <basic UID range>
- SEARCH <advanced combined UID and Message-ID>

Would you mind setting up such speed tests?

---
https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/issues/190#issuecomment-93962325