<DKIM> Mails deleted when restarted after aborting

Martin Geisler martin at geisler.net
Mon Aug 31 16:53:56 BST 2015

Hi Nicolas,

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev at laposte.net
> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 03:06:10PM +0200, Martin Geisler wrote:
> >    Hi all,
> >    I've begun the long processo of pumping my mails from a local IMAP
> >    server to Gmail and OfflineIMAP seems to be a great tool for this.
> >    There are various errors, however, and they make OfflineIMAP abort
> with
> >    tracebacks. When I restart it, it seems to pick of from there it was.
> >    It normally starts by deleting some mails from the remote (Gmail) end:
> >    Folder INBOX [acc: mrtn]:
> >    Â Deleting 43 messages
> >    (25671:25704,25706:25707,26388,26392,26481,26589:26590,26772,26795) in
> >    MappedIMAP[INBOX]
> >    I hope this is normal? Will the mails be re-uploaded after the
> restart?
> >    I'm a little puzzled why it would decide to delete and then
> (hopefully)
> >    upload the mails again?
>
> OfflineIMAP does a 3-way merge with local, remote and the cache. If the
> cache is not up-to-date, OfflineIMAP does the right things. I'm not
> aware of problems in this area outside of maxage (see the blog for more
> info about that).

Okay, I'm not using maxage so that shouldn't bite me.

I'm not touching the local Dovecot server where my mails currently reside
(no new mails delivered, no mails deleted). My INBOX on Gmail did also not
change as far as I know (except for some spam mails that landed directly in
the Spam folder).

Would that not mean that no mails should be deleted?

--
Martin Geisler