GMail labels sync - what and how?

Abdó Roig-Maranges abdo.roig at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 11:18:34 UTC 2015

Hi,

> They don't seem to be installed using homebrew (OS X) - I'll follow this
> up.

Oops, here it is!

https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/blob/master/docs/MANUAL.rst

>> I'm not sure about notmuch. Notmuch keeps its own tags in the external index,
>
> That's what I like about it - I use it mainly for indexing and searching
> my email.

Yes, the indexing is fantastic, What I was referring is that notmuch has its own
tagging system that lives entirely within the index, and I don't think it cares
about X-Keywords and such (it didn't some time ago).

I know about some software to keep notmuch tags, with X-Keywords labels in sync:

https://github.com/gauteh/abunchoftags.git

But have not tested it. Also, it looks like a new layer of complication where
things can go wrong. That's I'm using now mu for mail indexing, and mu4e for
mail client.

http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/
http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/mu4e.html

The advantage of mu is that the index is just an index, it has no extra data
kept only within the index. Also it indexes the X-Keywords header.

A bonus of having an index that is just an index, is that I can now sync my
Maildir across machines via rsync and friends, and everything just works. No
need to sync huge indexes just for the tags.

Abdó Roig.