MS Office365 'IMAP' server

Lucien Pullen drurowin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 06:58:56 UTC 2015

Also sprach Richard Lewis on 2015-02-23:
> However, it doesn't seem to have fixed my problem. This is the first
> time I've experimented with traffic shaping so there's a good chance I
> could be doing something wrong, rather than traffic shaping not being
> the answer here.

I think traffic shaping helps with some things, but MS IMAP throttling
is not one of them.  You set it up right, as far as I can tell.

> It says:
>
> * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 AUTH=PLAIN UIDPLUS MOVE ID CHILDREN IDLE NAMESPACE LITERAL+

That's not cool.  In fact, it's not even conforming! but let's ignore
that for now.

Servers are supposed to advertise features using that response.  So,
were Microsoft to add throttling, it should be in this list as XTHROTTLE
or whatnot.  You would then add a hook for that and use
XTHROTTLE-specific code.  Otherwise, you'd experience the behavior
you're seeing.

In this case, since there's no way of using the capability response as
it was intended, a specialized server type and configuration options for
MS IMAP should be added.  Unfortunately, I'm not a Python programmer, so
my useful input probably ends here.